Friday, July 23, 2010

Great Mojito Mint-off

*** Reminder: The Boboli Grilled Pizza Recipe Challenge still running. Check out the challenge and entry information.

Kate & Connie from Kate's Kitchen are guest posting today for a next round of herb-infused cocktails. You'll find Jason over at their blog today with a spin on a refreshing summer drink. Kate & Connie's post for a Limoncello Gin Cocktail with Thyme started it all. They then challenged us to come up with another grilled herb drink, and we posted Grilled Herb Cocktails.

Take it away Kate & Connie!

You remember the kids visit? Where we tried a different cocktail every night? Usually, Sunday nights are our cocktail nights. Connie gets out his drink cookbooks and hunts for something new and different. Or, sometimes one of us will be hungry for an old faithful. A lemon drop. Or, Clegg's margaritas. No experimenting. Just relax and enjoy something we know we love. So it was to be the evening we had mojitos. An old faithful. Well, Matt wasn't having any of that! There were three kinds of mint in the herb garden and we needed to try each and have a mint-off. Ok, fine. Sounds like fun to me. So, we made three kinds of mojitos. One with peppermint. One with spearmint. And, one with chocolate mint. When all was said and done, the chocolate mint won hands down. It was softer. Played better with the other ingredients. All five of us agreed. Therefore, in the future, chocolate mint it is. Whether it's proper or not :-)


Chocolate Mint Mojitos

2 parts rum
juice of 1/2 lime
1 part simple syrup
8 chcocolate mint leaves
club soda to taste
1 spring chocolate mint sprig for garnish

Muddle the mint leaves with the lime and simple syrup.

Really, it doesn't always take a committee to make the drinks. But, it's a lot more fun!


Pour in the rum. Shake in a cocktail mixer with ice until thoroughly chilled. Pour into glasses and top with club soda to taste. Garnish with a mint sprig.

And, serve with a smile!

6 comments:

The Manly Housewife said...

Is it 5 o'clock yet I need a drink :)

Carla said...

yum....3 kinda of mint sounds amazing! we have to get by with what the farmer sends our way (in our CSA) but I will be hoping for some chocolate mint!
from my last friday ....great minds think alike! http://carlastastytreats.blogspot.com/2010/07/7510-mint-mojito-sparkler.html

Unknown said...

I'll take two please.

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron said...

Chocolate mint mojito?! Awesome! I'm a light weight but chocolate mint got my attention. I guess I can make an exemption for this mojito!

Steve said...

This looks great. I had my first Mojito at the bar in Havana where Hemingway made them popular. Somewhere I have a recipe written on a napkin from the bartender at the Copa in Havana...where is that???

Cristina said...

There's actually a mint called "chocolate mint"? I need to find this herb...how delicious it must make things!

A Chocolate Mint Mojito sounds so good! Wish I could whip some up tonight. ;)