Thursday, September 23, 2010

Quickies: Morning Noon & Night Cocktail Challenge

I came across the invitation for the Quickies: Morning Noon & Night Cocktail Challenge and knew I needed to come up with something really good to enter. That is the challenge, isn't it.

On the Quickies On The Dinner Table home page Denise offers a bit of humor about the name of her site and Internet searches gone awry. While my first idea for a drink was a play off of this theme, it didn't end up being the best one. More on that at the end of the post. Be sure and take a spin through the Quickies site. You'll find inspiration for many things there.

Lazaro Cooks! is co-hosting this event. I found Lazaro's blog through Natasha at the 5 Star Foodie Culinary Adventures blog. Make sure you take a tour there as well. The photos, recipes and insights are well worth it.

My official contest entry is called a "Dirty Orange Soda". Margot loved this when I made it and her intuition about my creations is not to be disregarded.

Dirty Orange Soda

4 oz orange juice
1 oz mango vodka
1 oz vodka
1 oz Cointreau
splash of blood orange bitters
club soda
orange wedge

Mix the first five ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake well. Pour into a highball glass. Top off the glass with club soda and garnish with an orange wedge.

The picture below is one of those unexpected outcomes from a typical photo editing technique. Ordinarily I might have undone the effect and tried something else, but it looks pretty cool so I am going to go with it.



Cheers!

--Jason

My original drink idea was a drink called the "On The Wet Spot" and was a spin on a "Between The Sheets". Denise, I hope you enjoy what turns out to be a pretty funny joke following your lead.

On The Wet Spot

1 oz dark rum
1 oz Cointreau
1/2 oz Applejack
1/2 oz apricot brandy
splash of lemon juice
4 drops Angostura bitters

Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice, shake well and strain into a rocks glass.

10 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely picture

Marisa said...

This challenge is perfect for you! Love the Dirty Orange Soda--sounds like a winner. That photo came out looking really cool!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

I have to agree with Marisa - this challenge seems tailor made for you Jason LOL Always glad to inspire ;)

I love the sound and vibe of your cocktail, and that photo really is pretty cool!

Thanks again for adding your spark to our little shindig!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Almost forgot - thanks for the very nice little plug on our blogs :)

Belinda @zomppa said...

I love orange soda...how about a scoop of vanilla ice cream in this cocktail?

Kate said...

Hope you submit that photo to all the photo sites - it's gorgeous! Kate

Jason Phelps said...

As always great comments from FB friends. I am really enjoying the mixology, but I am thinking I need to strike a slightly more balanced tone. I want to do more with food and beverage pairing and so I will. Not less of anything perse, bu tmore of everything!!!

Jason

A Thought For Food said...

My head hurts just thinking about these cocktails... but maybe it's because I'm wicked hungover right now. They do sound mighty tasty!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

YUM! I just saw this on quickies and had to come check it out! A strong competitor!

bar bottle coolers said...

Cock tail book and site link! I will try your tips in future. Hey!!!Good Luck!