Monday, May 17, 2010

Arugula & Parmesan Pizza


Inspiration for this pizza came from Ted Allen's bit on The Best Thing I Ever Ate: Pizza. He professed a love for the Arugula & Parmesan pizza from Graziella's in Brooklyn. I had never had such a pizza and wanted to adapt a recipe and make it home.

1 multi-grain pre-baked pizza crust (from the grocery bakery)
1 medium onion, sliced
3/4 cup cleaned and chopped arugala
1/2 cup onion, garlic & basil pasta sauce
6 oz finely sliced parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp butter

six dried basil leaves, torn

Sauté the sliced onions with the butter until golden. Set aside. Place pizza crust on a baking sheet and place in 400 degree oven for 5 minutes. Remove crust and top with sauce, spreading evenly. Add arugula, onions and basil distributing over the crust. Lay slices of parmesan across the crust leaving some room between them. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Cool slight, cut and serve.

I have to say that this pizza tasted incredibly clean and fresh. I went light on the sauce and the cheese wasn't dripping everywhere so it was easy to eat. The salt from the cheese helped balance the sweetness in the sauce.

My wife and I agreed we are going to experiment with pizza once a month and try to focus on using fruits and vegetables that we haven't had yet on a pie. We'll be sure to bring the recipes here so all of our epicurean adventurers can tag along for the ride.

Cheers!

--Jason

4 comments:

dining room tables said...

I like this pizza! There is no meat required, this is perfect for vegans.

Jason Phelps said...

@dining room tables
Thank you so much! My wife and I have found us eating more and more meat free recipes. We often find fresher tastes, lighter meals and end up feeling better without so much meat!

Jason

The Manly Housewife said...

Man this looks good...

Sandy said...

Jason, this pizza looks fantastic. My husband and I make pizza often and love putting arugula on pizzas. Will definitely like to try this!