Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Wine Pairing with Creamy Potato & Ramp Soup

Peter over at Once A Chef Always a Chef brings us a recipe for Creamy Potato & Ramp Soup that was featured in the Foodbuzz Top 9 today. I had never heard of a Ramp before so the description and location of the wild find was very interesting. I thought I would try a wine pairing with this recipe even though I have never had Ramp. Hopefully the simiarity to garlic will guide me well. Check the recipe out at:

http://www.foodbuzz.com/blogs/us/wisconsin/fond_du_lac/2214117-creamy-potato-and-ramp-soup.

I am going to reccomend two different varietals using the same guidelines. Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc that have not been oaked should work provided they have some grassy and/or citrus aromas and flavors to pair with the ramp bulb and leaves. Unoaked Chardonnay is often more expressive with the fruit flavors than its oaked sibling which breeds similarities to a typical Sauvignon Blanc. A creamy texture to the wine would would also be an asset with the creamy texture of the soup.

Try these if you can find them:

Jibe Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand
Chateau St. Jean Fume Blanc - California
Louis Jadot Macon-Villages
Macon-Fuisse (some may have light oak which would be alright)

Cheers!

Jason

1 comment:

Monet said...

Jason,
Thank you for your ideas on wine pairings. I'm just starting to drink wine on a regular basis, and I often feel lost when pairing wine with meals. I appreciate your posts!