Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Don’t Know Until You Try

Anyone that is married to a creative Chef has had those moments. The one where said creative Chef throws out a recipe idea and all you can think is: you’re making what, and I have to eat it? But then, every person married to a GOOD creative Chef knows that those moments are often followed with amazing, delicious experiences. This is a story of one of those moments…

My only request for dinner was that it be pizza, most likely due to the Travel Channel show I had just watched devoted to the subject. Jay has come up with some wonderful pizza ideas in the past when issued this challenge. (Pulled Pork Pizza and Hoisin Chicken Pizza being two of my favorites.) As always when faced with a dinner challenge he went to the kitchen and pondered the ingredients we had on hand.

Two items caught his eye: first the home made dill pickles, second the package of bacon. When he came back with the idea of Bacon Pickle Pizza I was a little skeptical. As always I should have known better!


The resulting pizza was better than I ever could have imagined. The crunch and light brine of the pickles mixed with the salty goodness of the bacon was so perfect.


Both the toppings played so well off of the standard red sauce and mozzarella cheese and the flat bread crust was the perfect conveyor. It was like all the best things about a bacon cheeseburger without the burger overpowering the other flavors. (Though you could add beef as an additional topping I think that it would take away from the other flavors).


Never doubt a creative Chef… It pays to just go with the flow and enjoy the delicious ride.

Mangia,

Margot

6 comments:

Kate said...

I saw the title of the post and thought, "Ok, Jason has totally lost his mind." But, I see the comparison to a great cheeseburger and think about Scotty's Brewpub's cheeseburger soup I've been craving and am thinking maybe I need to try this... Kate @kateiscooking

Spice Sherpa said...

Bacon and pickle pizza? I first read that and thought that sounds like a pregnancy craving! But reading through I see the light. It sounds really good. Not unlike wanting capers or anchovies on your pizza. And since I call my husband Chef-Boy-R-Dave because of his pizza skills I'll float this combination by him. But first I'd better warn him that I'm not pregnant!

Kristen said...

You know, I make a cheeseburger pizza that has bacon and pickles amongst cheddar cheese and hamburger. It is reminiscent of McDonalds and the kiddos go crazy for it, so I imagine your pizza wasn't bad at all!

Pam @ Sticks Forks Fingers said...

OK, I was willing to declare Jason a culinary whacko with this one, but then I remembered the delicious peanut butter, bacon and pickle sandwiches on toast that I used to make when I was a kid and now I'm willing to declare him brilliant.

Lori said...

This sounds great! Sometimes when I make BBQ chicken or pork pizza I toss on dill pickles, but usually after baking. I need to try doing it before next time.

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

Now this is a truly unique pizza! I love bacon and adore pickles. Might just have to try this. I canned pickles earlier in the summer and they should be just about ready. Have a great Sunday!