Thursday, July 21, 2011

Neu Direction 2007 Malbec

I spotted this bottle on my wine rack today and couldn’t figure out where it came from. I am actually going to have to ask around to see if any of my friends can claim being the original owner. My life is just like that I guess!

The wine pours with a deeply concentrated purple/red color where the light is struggling to come through. Sometimes that is a good sign!

The aroma of cherry fills the nose followed by dry soil and a little smoke. In the mouth there is more plum than I picked up in the nose, and tons of cherry. The dry soil aroma is swapped out for a bit of unsweetened chocolate and black pepper.

The tannins are pretty soft and compliment the acidity on the finish quite nicely. The wine lingers long enough for a full profile, but doesn’t hang around annoyingly. I would drink this wine routinely if I had it available to me! Now I hope I do find out how I came by it.

The one thing that struck me about the bottle presentation and story is that the wine is fair trade certified, which I think is rare for imported wines. There is also a nod to environmental sustainability, which in agriculture is so important for the future of our society. Well done, my friends!

Cheers!

Jason

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the positive feed back. I work for the importer and you are correct there are very few Fair Trade wines on the market. This one is available at Sam's Club.