Saturday, February 5, 2011

Candied Bacon & Beer Mancakes


Really?

Hey, I’m not really a man’s man. I don’t watch sports, I don’t leave the toilet seat up and I don’t have a man cave in my house. I do know how to eat however, and celebrate manly foods with the best of ‘em. Bacon, BBQ, pizza, grilled meats, sandwiches with as many meats as there are stars, etc. You get the point.

This week I got behind on blog posts because I had to fight issues with roof snow and ice dams. Real manly stuff. I’ve got to do it again today and I need a manly breakfast to get me fired up. SO I bring you Candied Bacon & Beer Mancakes. I even used homebrew!

For the next two days I will be doing marathons of blog posts to both get caught up and to also give the middle finger to this winter that has been trying to permanently get me off track.

Candied Bacon & Beer Mancakes

8 slices of thick-cut maple bacon
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups Bisquick Lite
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1 bottle homemade Blueberry/Blackberry beer (you will need between 8-12 oz)
Set oven to 350. Lay the bacon out on a foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with half the brown sugar.


Bake for 10-15 min. Flip and cover with the remaining brown sugar. Cook for another 10 or so minutes, until the bacon is crispy and the sugar has complete melted. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Chop into rough pieces.


Mix the remaining ingredients together using as much of the beer as needed to get the consistency you desire. Fold in the chopped bacon.



Cook the pancakes using 1/3 cup-fulls on a hot griddle until golden on both sides.


Serve with butter and maple syrup. Belch loudly when done. Only to celebrate the meal of course!

Cheers!

Jason

6 comments:

Leila @ my Barbarian Table said...

truly a dish after my own heart! i love this! your addition of homebrew make me so happy, great post. this is something i will have to try!
Leila
@ My Barbarian Table

Cakewalker said...

You had me at bacon and beer!

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

Love the candied bacon with the brown sugar and how it gets cripsy. Great combinations! I hope the ice and snow is getting managable for you and everyone else back east! Hopefully spring will be here soon enough.

Spice Sherpa said...

Mancakes! Jason, you crack me up. But man, oh man, they look good enough for a woman. Especially the candied bacon part. I have a recipe for cinnamon bacon I ought to share. Hope you tamed the ice monster.

Jason Phelps said...

You all know the "mancakes" bit was a joke. I make equal opportunity food. Just channeling my inner dude for all the labor I was gearing us for. Ice monster was beaten, no more water in the house!

Jason

JazzRules. said...

How good is bacon? To improve other food, they wrap it in bacon!