Thursday, June 17, 2010

Foodie Summer Reading

Margot and I are readers, we buy books in waves and used if we can. I love Half.com because you can almost always find the book you are looking for with some good wear at a fantastic price.

I am currently in the middle of Sales & Service for the Wine Professional (Julyan) which is on the recommended reading list for aspiring sommeliers from the Court of Master Sommeliers. From the same list I also have Perfect Pairings (Goldstein), Grossman’s Guide to Wines (Grossman), Beers & Spirits and yet to start and I am using What to Drink with What you Eat (Dorenburg & Page) as a solid reference for pairing ideas.

We have queued up several food-related books for what will most likely be the summer at the pace we read.

The Omnivore’s Dilemma – Michael Pollan
The Town That Food Saved – Ben Hewitt
In Defense of Food– Michael Pollan
Food Rules– Michael Pollan

We also have a steady stream of food-related magazines that arrive at the house including Food & Wine, Cooking Light, Everyday with Rachael Ray, Wine Spectator, WineMaker, Brew Your Own and Imbibe.

Now I just need to work on selecting some wines to pair with my reading list…

If you have suggestions for food-related books you have read that we should take a look at leave us a comment. If you have them laying around and no longer need them we would be interested in swapping for something we are done with.

Cheers!

Jason

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a fantastic reading list, can't wait to read about everything you learn.

Salud!
Anamaris

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great list of books, I should check some of these out too.

Cook with Madin said...

I think I'm going to check out check Michael Polan's books., the sound interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Magic of Spice said...

Great reading list...I may have a couple of books that you may have interest in, but I will have to gather and then send you the titles???

Sara said...

Simon Hopkinson's "Roast Chicken and Other Stories" should have a special place in any serious cook's repertoire.

Andra said...

Love Michael Polan but you might need a more fun upbeat change of pace. Ruth Reichl's Comfrot me with Apples or Bourdain's new book might liven up selection.

Dave said...

May I suggest Consider The Oyster by MFK Fisher? Pair it with a laughable quaffable white and a hammock in the shade.

Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.