Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Simple Life - Pan Roasted Potatoes

Sometimes the over-complication of our lives can seep into our cooking and eating. Recipes that have a mile long ingredients list and require every cooking utensil you own. Life is hectic enough in this multi-tasking world why do we let it invade the sanctuary of our kitchen?

It took some small red potatoes from our CSA vegetable share and some fresh garden basil to snap me out of it and give that reminder to slow down a bit. Indeed less can be more. Jay and I are really enjoying the CSA and we have enjoyed many different fresh vegetables, cooking them in various ways. Two weeks in a row now we were received the most lovely small red potatoes. Ideas abound and in the past I have loved the standard “smashed” potatoes throwing everything available into them to add some flavor.

The difference this time is that the CSA has made me realize the joy of tasting my vegetables, not the sauce, not the seasoning, the actual vegetable. I decided to de-clutter my food and knowing that we had fresh basil from the garden I made the following.


Pan Roasted Basil Potatoes

1 lb small organic red potatoes
One large handful of fresh basil leaves
3 Tbsp olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Preheat the oven to 450 F. Cut the red potatoes down to the size of the smallest potato so that they cook evenly. Place the ½ of the olive oil in the bottom of a roasting pan then add the potatoes. Add the remaining olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat. Place the basil leaves evenly over the top of the potatoes. Roast in the oven for about 35 minutes, turning once, until golden and cooked through.

Easy, simple, delicious, zen…..

Mangia,

Margot

10 comments:

Kristen said...

I love plain old roasted potatoes with nothing fancy added. Yours look absolutely delicious!

Unknown said...

Potatoes are good prepared this way, love the handful of basil!

Joy said...

That looks great! I love when a recipe really displays the ingredients.

Lazaro Cooks said...

Fantastic roasted potatoes. Great job supporting CSA.

Magic of Spice said...

These look amazing...I love potatoes, uncluttered :)

Winelady Cooks said...

Excellent recipe Jason. Love roasted potatoes this way.

Thanks for sharing,
Joanne

Unknown said...

I think potatoes are the best this way. No need to go crazy. Like you said, just taste THEM. So good!

Monet said...

Is there anything better than simple roasted potatoes? I love CSA during the summer months, and I'm glad to see another great recipe utilizing this year's bounty!

Jason Phelps said...

@Kristen, @Pacheco_Patty, @Joy, @Lazaro_Cooks!, @Magic_of_Spice, @Winelady_Cooks, @Marisa, @Monet

No there isn't anything better! I just had these for breakfast and they clean flavors of the potatoes and greeness of the basil were delightful.

Go Margot!

Jason

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

Now that is the perfect way to enjoy potatoes! Enjoy your Sunday!