Sunday, August 22, 2010

Guest Post - Chocolate Chip Banana Coffee Cupcakes

Today's guest post comes from Jessica at the Messie Kitchen. Last week she teased us in her post about visiting a friend in Texas with a picture of the cupcakes she is sharing with us today. Finally, the recipe!!!

Everyone has one in their office. You know, that person who bakes every week and more often than not has leftovers to share with her hungry coworkers? The one who can brighten up a bland Thursday morning with fresh muffins or perk up an Tuesday afternoon lull with chocolate chip cookies?


I think there is a love hate relationship with this person. You love her because she brings goodies in every week. You hate her because you can’t resist the goodies! Well, it’s more love than hate, I’d say.


The point is, if I didn’t work in a wellness center, I would totally be this person. The problem is that my coworkers and I work in shifts, so usually there are no more than two of us. If I bring a plate full of cookies, you can rest assured that the two of us will get far more than our share.


Because of this, I can’t be Susie Homemaker of the office until I work in a real office.
Enter Allie Daus. Yes, if you refer back to my blog you will see I just visited a good friend in Texas. Daus works in a real office. One with business casual and a big staff. She works in the mother load for bringing office goodies, and when she asked me to bake something for her to bring in last Friday, I was chomping at the bit.


Brownies? Cookies? Maybe scones? I wanted something that could pass off as “breakfast-y” so that her coworkers could sit down at their desks with a cup of coffee and munch away the morning.

Coffee cake. Perfect. What’s more accessible than coffee cake?
CoffeeCUPcakes! Chocolate Chip Banana Coffee Cupcakes. Wonderful. And this is what I did (for 18 cupcakes or a Bundt cake).
Chocolate Chip Banana Coffee Cupcakes

What ya need:

½ cup of butter, softened
1 cup sugar, divided
2 eggs
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup mashed banana (about 3-4 ripe)
½ cup sour cream
2 cups AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup chocolate chips
½ tsp ground cinnamon

Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)

What ya do:

1. In a small mixing bowl, cream the butter and ¾ cup sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the banana and sour cream.

2. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture.

3. Combine the cinnamon, chocolate chips and remaining sugar in a bowl.

4. Spoon half the batter into 18 cupcake tins and top evenly with cinnamon, sugar and chocolate mix. Top with remaining batter.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back lightly.

6. Top with chocolate glaze.

Chocolate Glaze

What ya need:

1.5 semi sweet chocolate chips
6 tbsp butter
2 tbsp light corn syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract

What ya do:

1. In a double boiler over hot but not boiling water, combine chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup. Stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Add vanilla.

2. Drizzle over cupcakes



Though this recipe called for using a Bundt pan, I think the cupcake idea is super cute and much easier to eat…and who wants to work at eating! I hope you enjoy this recipe and that it’s a hit in your office…or maybe you’ll just keep it to yourself!

4 comments:

Cookin' Canuck said...

Oh my! I would love you for bringing these treats into the office, but cursing you for my expanding waistline.

Unknown said...

I want to make these cupcakes!

Cooking with Coley said...

Wow. I agree with Patty! I want to make them and eat them immediately!

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely cupcake flavours