Monday, August 2, 2010

Garlic, Onion and Feta Green Beans

Margot prepared a great example of a dish you might have in your menu for the Best CSA/Farm Market Menu Contest we are hosting with Kate's Kitchen. Please post entries to the contest to both blogs. Refer to the links above for complete information.

For the past few weeks we have received some beautiful green beans in our CSA. Truth be told I have historically not been a fresh green bean lover. As I have mentioned in previous posts I was brought up on nothing but canned. Jay has managed to find a few fresh green bean recipes that I have enjoyed but I wanted to create one on my own. Working with some of my favorite ingredients and sticking with my less is more attitude yielded results. Here is what I came up with….and I loved it!



Garlic, Onion & Feta Green Beans

2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves (Smashed)
1 Small Red Onion (Sliced)
1 lb Fresh Green Beans (Ends Removed)
Feta Cheese
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Place oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once oil is heated add onion and garlic and sauté until soft. Add green beans and stir to coat with the oil. To insure even browning try to have beans in a single layer in the skillet. Cook over medium heating stirring occasionally until beans are slightly brown and fork tender, 10 to 20 minutes. Plate beans once cooked salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with feta cheese and serve.



Jay and I both loved this dish. Though next time we both agreed that we need to work on the cooking time as some of the large beans were slightly undercooked. With a little practice I think that I will get the cook time down. Jay’s favorite part was the flavor of the onions and the garlic with the feta. I loved that with all the flavors the beans were still the star attraction. Another successful CSA experiment! Bring on the veggies…..

Mangia!
 
Margot

6 comments:

Nancy said...

These are all ingredients I love. Have to say that I've never tried the feta with Green beans but seeing your recipes it looks delicious. Great recipe!

Torviewtoronto said...

love making these sauted beans looks delicious

Fight the Fat Foodie said...

this looks delicious!

Mangia Margot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mangia Margot said...

Spicie Foodie that is how I developed the recipes, I threw together some items that I had one night. Thank you all for your feedback. I have a veggie casserole in the oven as I speak. It may be my next post. I looove summer!
Margot

The Manly Housewife said...

Well Done Margot! I am going to make this recipe and let you know how it turns outs. Looks wonderfully delicious...