Tuesday, August 17, 2010

New England Wine Review & Call for Guest Posts

I am looking for some guest posts for next week. I need at least three and am open to all sorts of topics.

Review of Sakonnet Vineyards Eye Of The Storm

In the lead up to the July wine tasting we hosted my mother brought us a bottle of Sakonnet Vineyards Eye Of The Storm that had been resting in our wine fridge until tonight. I was intrigued by the color, a burnt pink orange, when I first saw it, it reminded me of our strawberry wine.

The wine has a very fruity aroma with flavors of strawberry and cherry. It has a long smooth finish and is medium to off-dry. There wasn’t much information at the winery web site about this wine, but the story on the bottle is interesting enough to create some mystique.

“On September 27, 1985, Hurricane Gloria passed over Rhode Island bringing winds of 60-70 ,ph. Sakonnet Vineyards first produced “Eye Of The Storm” to celebrate out survival of this disaster. The picture on the front of the label is a reproduction of a satellite photograph of the actual hurricane.”

I made up a batch of caprese salads tonight just because I could. With so much basil in the garden, why not! This wine was a wonderful pairing with the fresh tomato, basil and creamy mozzarella cheese. I didn’t plan this and won’t even attempt to take credit for any positive experiences you might have as a result, it just happened. The sweetness of the wine is successfully enhanced against a bit of salt on the tomato, and the fruit flavors pair with the flavors in the fresh tomato.

Cheers!

--Jason

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great write!
So i guess your mom had impecable taste in wine? Cheers!
The truth is, i didn't go to your wine tasting because i think i need wine for dummies.. i know some basics.. but i didn't want to feel so completely out of place.

Kate said...

Hey Jason - let me know if you still need a guest post. Next week should be better than last trying to get away on vacation then catching up from being on vacation... Still am not up to speed on our CSA post!! Kate

Magic of Spice said...

Sounds like a lovely wine...great post :) If you need a guest post for late in the week I will be on vacation and will have time to come up with something for you? Email me magicofspice@theardentepicure.com if you do :)